production: music

From the very beginning of this process I was thin king about music. The scenes came to me in my head and all I could think of was the right way to capture the moment. I searched all over youtube looking at different genres of music to try and get a general feel for what was wanted. Eventually I came up with the fact that I KNEW there needed to be a sense of buildup in the music. This story is about this girls life and the inevitable almost fall of her life. The story itself, from an outside perspective, is to see slow fall and burn once the idea of drugs enter her mind. However, in the girls mind it is evident that the drugs initially enhance her mind with this artificial dopamine immediately upon taking them. Thus, the music to capture her emotion would be great and powerful, like tapping into another part of the universe. I searched for songs with beat drops and heavy vocals, I finally though of Me and Your Mama by Donald Glover (aka Childish Gambino). This is a heavy soul and rnb song, there is a tension that is built up through the beginning of the song, soft and pulling at you, waiting for a release. Eventually the music brings it, there such a strong drop its like you can feel it in your body. I felt that this song evoke heavy emotion and was perfect for our piece. This is not a duty free song so I did have to contact for permission. Going into this I knew it was near impossible. Gambino is very esteemed artist with a lot of stature, his fame and following would make it a difficult task. Regardless, I sent him a message. The only way I could think of messaging him was trough Instagram DM, however, he never got back to me. I am sure that he is flooding with messages from fans and his management wouldn't have time to sort through this all.




 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

production: changes made from film review